Monday, June 6, 2011

This is How We Roll on the Way to College

Long story short, I decided to be a fabulous mom this morning and help my daughter get started on her way to college and adulthood.   In true Kristin and Ashtyn style it did not go smoothly.  You’ve got to understand something here. EVERY TIME Ashtyn and I head off somewhere she needs to be, we never know where we’re going even though we’re both sure we do.  She tells me where we need to go, I think I have the general idea, and then we get there and it’s not where we’re supposed to be.  EVERY SINGLE TIME!!  Yes, I’m a slow learner.  Google, Google, Google the directions.  (We even had a conversation about doing that last time we got lost).  Apparently we have short memories or enjoy being lost and frustrated. 

So Ashtyn’s taking a concurrent enrollment class at SLCC this summer.  She has a couple of r e a l l y long days as her bus ride into Salt Lake from Stansbury is around two and a half hours one way.   When she signed up for her class, neither of us realized that the bus schedule would be so uncooperative but she’s sticking to her decision to still take the class and I give her props for that.  

Ashtyn is a small town girl at heart, not real comfortable in cities and certainly not comfortable on the city bus by herself.  I thought my taking her to school and getting her to where she needed to go would be a fun thing to do together. We both ended up frustrated. I ended up mad that we were driving around lost yet again (I’m the driver, I should have known where I was going) and she was late for her first college class.


Ashtyn, I’m proud of you for taking this step into the big, “scary” world of adulthood.  I think this will be your summer of growing up and preparing you for your last year in high school and life after.  I love you.  You’re an amazing young woman and despite our bumping heads at times I hope you know I love you to bits and pieces.  Because I do. 

Now go out there and take on the world!




No comments:

Post a Comment