Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Embrace The Journey



So I picked up a new bracelet yesterday. I had decided it was time to treat myself. If I was going to spend the money then I wanted get something that I not only really liked, but that had some kind of meaning to me as well. I looked at and tried on dozens of bracelets, and while all of them were beautiful in their own way, nothing was jumping out at me saying, "pick me, pick me!"

I spent a good amount of time looking around and getting a little frustrated at not finding what I wanted. I was getting ready to leave when I ran across some bracelets that had sayings on them such as, "Mother, Love, Dare to Dream" and one other that caught my eye immediately. Inscribed on the bracelet were the words "Embrace the Journey." It was mine. It was meant for me. It had "pick me" just radiating from it! I had some rather vague thoughts in my mind at the time as to why those words resonated with me so strongly. I knew why, but I was fighting against those very thoughts at the same time.

I have not just been trying to "put up with" or "grin and bear" my divorced and single status and role as a single mother, but have been making a conscious effort to find joy and happiness with where I am at. Makes sense, right? Feels good for extended periods of time? No.

So the question has been tripping around in my head the last 24 hours or so as to if I could actually "embrace" my life as it is right now. I've tried to find joy in my journey, but can I actually embrace it? To hold it to me; to clasp it as if it is something precious and desirable? I think I have come to the conclusion that I am already doing this to some degree. I am trying. Some days I do more embracing than others. Most days, I feel strong and capable. Some days I feel the burden of loneliness.

The journey will continue on no matter how I feel about it. To be able to "Embrace" it will determine to no small end how my journey looks, feels, and where it will ultimately take me.

2 comments:

  1. Do you always have to be so stinkin' right? LOL. Love ya. Thanks for making me appreciate my life. Maybe I can now work on trying to embrace it.

    BTW....where did you get the bracelet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viky, your post totally made me laugh. I luv ya too sweet lady.
    I think embracing is a process....and hopefully we just get better at it as we go. We're BOTH going to get there.

    I got the bracelet at Brighton's. My favorite place to spoil myself, although I think some of your jewelry could give them a run for their money!

    ReplyDelete