Thursday, July 1, 2010

Let Freedom Ring



I love the 4th of July. Just like Christmas is a time to remember the birth of The Christ Child, the 4th of July is a time to remember the birth of our country, The United States of America.

John Adams, the second president of our country and signer of The Declaration of Independence wrote his wife and told her his feelings as to how the that day should be remembered. "I believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival... it ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other..." And it is.

Starting on July 8, 1776, The Declaration of Independence used to be read publicly and people would shout and cheer in the streets when they heard it. How I wish that was a tradition that would have carried on with the pomp and circumstance of the holiday.

I had to ask myself if my children know that every time I hear the National anthem played that I get tears in my eyes. Do they know that the same things happens whenever I see a large group of military members in uniform? Do they know and understand that these brave men and women live and die so they can be free? Do my children understand that behind the squabbling doors of politicians and backbiting and sometimes condemnation from the rest of the world, that they are blessed more than they ever could imagine to have been born in this great country. Most importantly, do they know their rights and obligations as a citizen of this country to help it remain a country of principles and freedoms?

I think as a mom I need to step it up in this area. For as Thomas Paine,one of the Founding Fathers said.....

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."

Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777

As citizens of this great and blessed country may we never grow tired or complacent in the cause of freedom, and do our part to keep the light of freedom burning bright.

God Bless America

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Love your blog.
    Have a fantasic 4th July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you stopped by Veronica :) I'll have to stop by your site and get to know you. Have a great holiday weekend as well!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete